Yetta Rupp has as much connection with the Yondotega Club as I do up to this point in my investigation but one never knows what will be uncovered. Here is the immigration manifest from the S. S. Finland upon her return from Capri in 1915.
![]() |
| Detroit Free Press, June 4, 1914 |
On the manifest it states her address to be the Union Trust Co., which I believe was a commercial building but Jerome likely had an office there as he also listed 812 Union Trust Building on his passport application in 1897:
Regardless of where she eventually resided she was set up for life if she managed her money wisely. I've yet to find her in the 1920 or 1930 censuses but she does curiously show up in the 1940 Alameda, California census residing at 1930 Filbert Street, which appears to be an apartment/condominium complex. The curious part being that she is listed as being in a partnership with a woman named Anna Whitehead. Maybe Capri did rub off on her or perhaps Jerome was actually homosexual and each was the other's beard.
Either way, I can't say that I have ever seen Partner on a census form before in relation to same sex home occupants. It's usually Head and lodger or lodger and lodger but who knows. They had lived there for at least 5 years according to the past residency status. Whitehead was also from Michigan so they could have known each other from Detroit or even her hometown of Saginaw. For what it's worth, Anna is listed as a widow and Yetta as single but I shall investigate further.


-page-001.jpg)
.jpg)

Comments
Post a Comment